Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Wiggle Worms

Large groups of adorable, well-behaved, and energetic toddlers two days in a row.... what a "good day" indeed!  When summer vacations come to an end and storytime crowds resume, I truly appreciate all that caregivers do to make storytime great!

Animal Song with Puppets:  "All the Fish"

Letter of the Day:  Ff for my fun friend fox.  There is a fox in the book we read today.

Book:  A Good Day by Kevin Henkes. 

Have I told you how much I love this book yet!?  My toddler reads it over and over and there is nothing sweeter than hearing him empathetically declare, "Oh noo," when something goes wrong for each of the animals and then clap when each situation is resolved.

My toddler reading A Good Day at home
 
 See those yellow feathers (tucked behind the book below)?  Yup, Michelle and I tucked them behind our ears before declaring, "Mama, it was a good day!" just like the little girl does at the end of the book.

Movement:  "My Squirrel"
I found a super fun bluegrassy song that goes:
 
I have a favorite squirrel and he loves to jump
I have a favorite squirrel and he loves to jump
I have a favorite squirrel and he loves to jump
Jump, squirrel!  Jump, squirrel!  Jump from tree to tree
Jump, squirrel!  Jump, squirrel!  Jump from tree to tree
 
...loves to eat
 
...likes to rest
 
...etc...
 
The kids were so cute bouncing around with our favorite squirrel puppets!
 
 
Flannel:  Let's Make these Birds Happy!!
 
 I didn't know if I loved my take on "Little Bird, Little Bird" when I did it yesterday, but I really liked it today!  I made these over sized, batting-stuffed birds a while ago when I saw Melissa's "Little Bird, Little Bird"
 
Since we were already in the spirit of cheering on our animal friends, I sang:
 
"Blue bird, blue bird on my shoulder
I need a cheer!"
 
I changed the color bird, where it landed on my body, and an uplifting gesture like applause (clap), blowing kisses, and high-fiving!
 
I think this flannel worked because I did it only a few minutes after reading A Good Day.



No comments:

Post a Comment