Monday, April 30, 2012

Wiggle Worms April 23, 2012

Mice sure are nice! 

Animal Song:  "If I Was a Bird".  I love this mellow action song (especially when I anticipate a little craziness like when we're in the Newsstand Room instead of the meeting room)

Letter of the Day:  Mm for mouse

Activity:  Mr. Bear's Color Game:  Instead of singing the alphabet every week, I'm trying to do other small activities in its place.  This week we played Mr. Bear's Color Game.  Mr. Bear goes fishing for colorful fish, which we name, and then the kids identify something on the poster that's the same color.  This week's color were pink, brown, and yellow.

Book:  Cat & Mouse by Ian Schoenherr.  A kiddo must have grabbed this book on Monday because it disappeared from my storytime set up when I left the Newsstand Room (this room has no doors), but fortunately it was returned to me in time to read for Tuesday's group. 


I love the oversized illustrations and the simple text of classic nursery rhymes.  We read "Eeny Meeny Miney Mo" and "Hickory Dickory Dock".

Then we pretended we were clocks and mice were running up and down us.

SURPRISE  I have lots of stuffed mice for acting out this song!  I find kids part with cute critters best after they've held them for while so I didn't rush them.  First we pet or mice, cuddled them, and then had them sit on our heads, shoulders, etc.




Music:  "Hickory Dickory Dock"  I download this song so long ago I'm not sure where I got it from, but it goes:

Tick tock tick tock goes the clock
Tick tock tick tock goes the clock
Hickory dickory dock
The mouse ran up the clock
The clock struck ONE
The mouse ran down
Hickory dickory dock

etc...

TWO....boo
THREE....wee
FOUR.....no more

Kids are so cute ticking like clocks while mice run up and down them!

Flannel:  (My most requested flannel for gifts): 

Little Mouse, Little Mouse
Are you in the color house?



Finger Play (kids love the anticipation):

Slowly, slowly, very slowly
creeps the garden snail
Slowly, slowly, very slowly
up the garden rail

Quickly, quickly very quickly
runs the little mouse
Quickly, quickly very quickly
round about the house

2 comments:

  1. I love these mice!!! Where did you get them? We need some just like it for toddler group time. They are very difficult to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IKEA. Get them asap and get lots extra because they discontinue items eventually. I just went back to replenish the worms rattles I use all time and they're discontinued. I almost cried!

    ReplyDelete