Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pre-K June 14, 2012 Mice!

Today was a way smaller storytime than usual (50 people total) but a little rough.  I still had fun and I know the kids did too.  There are so many great books about mice and many of them make great props so it's one of my favorite themes.  And HUGE thanks to Lesley for making the video work!!!

Memory box:  Bear from A New House for Mouse


Famous mice:  I love playing the "famous" game and seeing who the kids recognize.  They were right on today!


Books:

A New House for Mouse by Petr Horacek.  When a mouse find an apple that is too big for her house, she searches for a new, bigger home.


If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff.  We all know what happens when you give a mouse a cookie....


Aww man!  The green crayon is backwards oh well.


Music:  We danced to Raffi's "Shake My Sillies Out"

Flannel:  Mouse wanted a sandwich and let me know exactly what he wanted on it!  Our teen volunteer used this adorable Melissa & Doug Sandwich Set that I got from Barnes and Noble to build the sandwich as I pointed to and sounded out the words.



Music and prop activity:

I played this video so the kids could see how the mice and monster interact in the song "The Mice Go Marching" by Hap Palmer.


I then handed out stuffed mice for them to act out the song with while playing the video again.  I bought 55 so that each child could have one.  On smaller attendance days, I toss the extra mice into the air when the mice tumble around in the song.  The kids catch on and mice start flying.  It's so funny!






1 comment:

  1. What a cute storytime! I especially love the "famous game"! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete