Thursday, November 17, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving! - Pre-K

No storytime next week (Thanksgiving) OR December 1st!!!
There is no storytime December 1st because of our big evening event: Caroling in the Library.  Please join us in the evening for cookie decorating, caroling, and storytime.

Today we had fun with a Thanksgiving theme:

Books: 
 I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie by Alison Jackson.  You guessed it; she swallows all sorts of Thanksgiving foods - whole!  Thank you to the mom who helped me with the flannel pieces as I read the book.

The Ugly Pumpkin by Dave Horowitz.  I modify this story because the poor "ugly pumpkin"  really gets picked on, but I think it's a fun book to use in storytime because I get to show the kids some real, bumpy gourds afterwards. 

Game: 
  • I call this game "mouse view" because I show the kids close up pictures of Thanksgiving foods and they try to guess what they are.  Not so easy, but these kids were great!  They got some tricky ones like biscuits and cranberries.
  • Thanksgiving magic:  Oh the dearness of kids!  They were in awe of the turkey I pulled out of the cauldron after they put in sparkley leaves and said "Abracadabra!"

Movement:

  • "Turkey Trot"
Oh, you turkey to the left
And you turkey to the right
Then you heel, toe, heel toe
and you scratch with all your might
You flap your turkey wings
while your head goes bobble, bobble
You turn around and then you say,
"Gobble, gobble, gobble!"
  • I love this classic song:  "She'll be Comin' Round the Mountain"
  • "Pass the Beanbag" (except we passed the gourds so each kiddo could feel the cool, bumpy "ugly pumpkins").  This is the first time doing an activity like this, but we learned how to form a circle, how to pass an object, and how to follow the directions in the song like passing faster and slower.

No comments:

Post a Comment