Friday, September 19, 2014

Owls: All-Ages

September seems like the perfect month to read about owls.  This is one of my favorite themes!  I am now doing All-Ages Storytimes (as opposed to doing separate Toddler and Preschool Storytimes) so I try to keep the content age-appropriate for both the bigger kids and the little guys. 

We looked at a few different kinds of owls.  I pointed out the Snowy Owl, the Great Horned Owl, and the Burrowing Owl (we see these in AZ)

 Can you guess what kind of owl my friend is?
He's Ollie; a Great Horned Owl

Books:

I'm Not Cute by Johnathan Allen:  Baby Owl meets Rabbit, Fox, and Squirrel in the woods and is upset when they tell him how cute he is but when Mama tells him that he's not cute, his attitude changes.
I read this book with the little owl finger puppet and my lovely co-worker helped the other puppets interact with him.

Wow! Said the Owl by Tim Hopgood:  A curious little owl explores her colorful surroundings during the day.
Music: 

"Mr. Owl" by Kimmy Schwimmy.  You can't help but to dance while singing this song!  For the owl, we flapped our wings (elbows bent).  For the bird, we flapped our arms (extended).  For the cat we danced with little paws.

Thank you so much, Lisa Shaia for sharing this song!  Listen to the full song here

Flannel: 

"One Little Owl"
One little owl said, "Whoo, whoo."
Two little owls said, "Whoo, whoo."
Three little owls said, "Whoo, whoo."
As they sat in the old oak tree.

...crow said, "Caw, caw."
....squirrel said, "Crunch, crunch."

 Watch and listen here

Sign for tree:

Fingerplays / Body Movement:

"Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" (The last page in Wow! Said the Owl shows the nighttime sky glittered with stars)

"I'm a Little Kitty" (because of Mr. Kitty in the song "Mr. Owl")
I'm a little kitty nice and sweet
Here are my whiskers
and here are my feet
When I go out hunting, mice beware
Or you just might get a scare!
Watch and listen here - these girls are AWESOME

 Owl Yoga Pose: Turn your head from side to side
The Weekly Stuff:
"Good Morning Song" / "Shake Your Sillies Out"
"Roly Poly"
"Mr. Bear"
"We Wave Goodbye Like This"

I'll see you next week for an autumn theme!!

No comments:

Post a Comment