Friday, October 5, 2012

Spiders! Pre-K 10-4-12

It's that time of year again!  Spiders are great, creepy critters to read about in the month of October.

41 children
3 siblings
28 adults

Theme: Spiders

Memory Box: Cow from The Very Busy Spider


Books:

The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle

Aaaarrgghh Spider! by Lydia Monks.  LOL So funny to read in storytime.  All the kids screamed "Aaaarrgghh!  A spider!" right on cue. 

Fluffy (the spider puppet pictured with Letter of the Day) acted out the spider's part in the book since the spider in the picture is a little small.






Flannel/Clip Art:
I picked bugs we wouldn't mind a spider eating: Flea, mosquito, beetle, wasp, fly

The spider catches a fly
The spider catches a fly
Hi ho the dairy-o
The spider catches a fly

The bugs attach to the web with velcro


Music and Props:
It's not very often we use two musical handouts...but today it was just so fitting...

"There's a Spider on the Floor"  I am linking Raffi's version because the version I use isn't in our catalog.  The kids all get a spider to bounce around on the floor and move up their bodies.  My favorite verses:

There's a spider on my neck / I'm a psychological wreck
There's a spider on my face / What an inconvenient place
There's a spider on my head / It's the thing that I most dread


"Shoo Fly" In the version I played, the kids used scarves to shoo the flies away (Lesley and I "flew" around) and in between shooing we clapped, stomped, jumped, and then sat like a pretzel.



Cube Roll:  Poet's Corner
I had a poem picked out:



Letter of the Day: Oo and Pp
Spiders usually lay lots of eggs, but our spider, Fluffy, only laid two.  I truly didn't look at the balls before putting them below Fluffy. 

I instructed the kids to NOT shout out the letter (I closed my eyes and covered my ears just in case).  When I uncovered my ears they told me words that started with each letter and I guessed it based on their clues!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cute storytime! I love how you incorporated a scarf activity with the flies! I'll bet the kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete