Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Wiggle Worms 10-2-12

I never force a theme for the toddler programs, but when I can tie it together I do.  Today that was "apples"!

47 toddlers
6 siblings
34 adults

Puppet Animal Song: "Old MacDonald

Book:

Apple Pie Tree by Zoe Hall.  I shortened this book quite a bit and briefly showed the children the story of a bare tree in winter growing through the seasons until it's time to pick apples in the fall.


I considered using Orange Pear Apple Bear by Emily Gravett.

Letter of the Day:  Aa for apple.  Also for alligator (see rhyme below)

 
 
Cube song:  "I'm a little tea pot"
 
 
Music and Movement:  "It's Fall Again".  We threw handfuls of these leaves into the air while playing fall music and the kids kept them fluttering down.
 
 
 
Prop Rhyme:  I can not give enough credit to Kay Leigh for the inspiration and basic pattern.  I turned her finger puppet into a sock puppet prop:  http://librarystorytimeabcs.blogspot.com/2012/08/flannel-friday-apple-surprise.html
 
 
I found an apple on the ground
It looked delicious, red, and round
I picked it up and took a nibble
(Playful gasp) there's a worm in the middle
 

 
 
 
 
Flannel: 10 Little Apples
 
1 little, 2 little, 3 little apples
4 little, 5 little, 6 little apples
7 little, 8 little, 9 little apples
All fall down!  (I tilted the foam board so all the apples fell!)
 
 
 
Movement rhyme: The Alligator (adapted from Miss Trish at Sunset Library)
 
 
The alligator's jaws go snap, snap, snap
The alligator's tail goes thwack, thwack, thwack
And he's getting closer (crawl towards child or vice versa)
 
The alligator's jaws go snap, snap, snap
The alligator's tail goes thwack, thwack, thwack
And he's getting closer
GOTHYA! (Big hug)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment