Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Watermelon Seed - Flannel Friday

I did a summer storytime theme last week and ended with a book: The Watermelon Seed by Greg Pizzoli.
 
This book is so funny!  This little croc loves watermelon!  He has been eating it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner since he was a baby.

My little croc helped tell this story:

 
My co-worker manipulated the puppet as I read.
 
This watermelon slice is made of double-sided felt and stuffed with batting:
 
All is great until our croc swallows a seed.  Did you read that right?  SWALLOWED A SEED!  His imagination runs wild and he imagines turning pink, growing vines, and an expanding belly.
 
 
 
 My co-worker snuck this black pom-pom "watermelon seed" into the crocodile's mouth so the kids didn't see it:

 
The best part was the loud burp and launching the seed right into the middle of the group of kids!
 
 

6 comments:

  1. This book is one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny that we both posted about watermelon this week! This is an adorable idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I need to find that book! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know where you got that puppet? I can't find a cute crocodile puppet anywhere! (Well I only looked on Amazon...but still.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done the same searches you have, I'm sure! I'm sad to say that I randomly found it at a used children's store.

      Delete